Christian's Mailing Address

If you are sending a package, only use the U.S. Postal Service, either by regular Air Mail or Priority Mail. Any other way will cause Christian to pay a very large duty.

Elder Chrisian Leslie Warner
Thailand Bangkok Mission
50/829-832 Muang Thong Thani
Chaengwatana Road, T. Ban Mai
A Pakkret
Nonthaburi 11120
Thailand


Bang Bua Thong, Bangkok, Thailand
Christian has received his 1st assignment - Northern Thailand on the Laos border. Christian has moved from Nong Khai to Samut Prakan (area of Bangkok), moved to Thonburi (still in Bangkok), moved cross town to Sinakarin. Transferred to Bang Bua Thong (currently evacuated due to flooding). Will be living in Lampang until floods are gone.

Friday, July 30, 2010

July 26th Letter

Howdy family,

This week was really awesome. I'm not quite sure why, maybe it is because there were only 6 days in between p-days, I don't know. All I do know is it was sweet. We had a bunch of lessons and stayed busy, so it went by really fast. I hope your week has been equally as fantastic. I don't have too many stories, but I can share a few experiences. Our two investigators that got baptized last week, only one was able to get confirmed this week. Sister จิ๊ด, was in the hospital. She has some sickness that the doctors can't figure out, it is sad. We did have the opportunity to go to the hospital and visit her though. As soon as we walked in she asked for a blessing, it was really nice. We then said we would send over some Liahonas to keep her occupied. I have to be honest though, after seeing the Nong Khai hospital, I'm very grateful for American health care. All the people are just bunched into one room here, no matter how sick you are. I think you get sicker after you go to the hospital then before. Anyway, my goal while I am here is to never have to go to a hospital for myself. Wish me luck!

I have one funny story that I just remembered. We were teaching this lesson with a guy named Chaat. He is about 65 years old and very hyper active. Anyway, we got to the part where we wanted to pray with him, so we explained what we were going to do and how he didn't have to do anything just listen and then say amen at the end. We then told him that out of reverence we close our eyes and "clasp" our hands. He thought this meant hold hands, so he comes up and starts holding my hands in the most uncomfortable way. Thai people are very touchy feely with their friends so we were too close for comfort!!! His hands where in my lap!!! I was so uncomfortable. Anyway Elder Greene started to laugh, and then I started to laugh, and then throughout the whole prayer that I was trying to say, I was laughing. And it was our first prayer with him. I think we ruined our chance. It was terrible. Ah...

I will share another experience I had. I was praying and I have tried to do something new as I have prayed. After I pray I like to sit and ponder. I have always been told to pay attention to my feelings and thoughts because that is how the Holy Ghost will answer your questions. I guess I have always kind of struggled with this. I have never been a person to recognize a spiritual prompting right at the moment. I know they exist, but I always just felt that whatever I was doing was working. I had never received an answer that I have recognized so clear, until last week. My companion and I have gotten along this whole time, but I felt that we weren't really connecting. I felt like he was struggling with me and I couldn't figure out why. So as I prayed. I asked to know why, and instead of just asking for it to be fixed I asked what I could change to fix it. As soon as I finished my prayer, I continued to kneel and listen, and there it was – the answer! It felt like some one had inserted it into my brain. It is not something that I could have ever thought of myself but I did. As soon as I recognized it I prayed again and then wrote it down. Ever since then he and I have been like brothers, we get along great. We both became very optimistic all of a sudden. In Thai it is called มองโลกในแง่ดี. You can ask Brady what that means. This moves is going to be great. I'm so stoked.

It sounds like Kasey gave a great talk. I'm glad he is home and doing well. He wrote me while I was in the MTC but it was too difficult to send a letter to Ecuador – by the time I would have sent it he would have been home before he got it, so I haven't written him back yet. And now I'm pretty sure if I do write him back he won't write me back, but he sounds like he is doing great so I am happy for him. And for your info I have written Ashley but not in a long time. I sent her a letter last week so it should get there in a little bit. I felt bad because it has been too long since I wrote her last, but it is coming.

It is cool that Ryan is the second counselor in his Branch Presidency. It is a tough job. At least it is here, and I'm sure it is there too. The Elders here have a ton of responsibility; the ward really relies on them. But our mission president is trying his hardest to change that. Elder Greene is the last elder in Thailand to be in a branch presidency. And next week we are getting our older couple and we were just informed that he would be replacing Elder Greene in the branch presidency. This guy is a stake Patriarch in Japan, but has been living in Salt Lake for a few years. It is going to be great for the branch. Have Julee and Kevin give Ryan my best. Can you believe he has less then a year left?

That is really sad about Bennet. He just seems to be getting further and further off the path. I hope he can find himself in the next little while. He needs something to go really right in his life. He needs the Gospel! It changes people’s lives; I see it here every day. There is a kid here in the ward, His name is Brother Ice. He is 26 and has been a member just over six months now. He helps us teach probably 3 times a week. He is amazing. He had no direction in his life. Now he is helping us bring people to baptism. He is such a great member.

That reminds me Have Maren log in to my facebook and keep it updated. I have people from the ward here that added me so we can stay in touch later. Brother Ice told me to have Maren do it ASAP, so have her do it today would you?

Another thing I need is deodorant, I'm not out but packages take for ever, so if you send it now I think I will get it by next moves meeting. That would be great.

For your other questions: The last week has been really rainy here and about 85-90 degrees, so I have been shivering all day. I really never thought I would get this way, but I am so cold now. I bet you guys never thought you'd here me say that.

The language is coming. I'm not as frustrated about it anymore. I can understand enough to get along. Talking is really hard but I try in every lesson, eventually that part will come too. I am now able to understand scriptures as people read them so I feel blessed in that way.

Other than that I think that is all I have. I am glad you are all doing great. Good luck with your next surgery mom. I will pray for you. Don't forget next Sunday is Fast Sunday. So utilize its amazing power. Good luck with your work dad. It will keep you busy so the time will go by super fast. I love you all have a great week.

2 comments:

  1. This letter made me laugh. I can visualize his facial expression as the man holds his hands. The conversation, as they left, between Chris and Elder Greene must have been hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that he is making friends every where! its about time someone got him out of his "bubble". What an adventure! I love you Christian!

    ReplyDelete